Sunday, November 15, 2009

So here we go...

We have had several eye opening events in our life in recent years...it started us looking for better ways to live our life healthier, with less impact on our environment.  We have made many changes but still it wasn't good enough and what we did we only half did.  We buy all our groceries organic but then go out to eat at McDees *yeah don't even want to spell it out* but I am confessing it all.  So yeah Organic at home crap outside, plus not everything was organic and still lots of cheeto's, processed cereals, fruit drinks make it into our home.


So now we are going to make conscious decisions about what we buy and eat.   My vegetable eating friends I know your first question and no we are not going to be vegetarians, but our meat will be purchased in a way that we know it's humane, grass fed and local.  We eat many meatless meals but will have some meat in our diet. That is something my husband will never bend on & while I could be vegetarian 6 days a week that 7th I feel I need it.  Perhaps that will change but this is where we are at now. 


We are lucky we live where we do the 'salad bowl' of California where most of the salad greens that are shipped across the country are grown are fields I drive past frequently.  The climate is moderate year round I can get lots of variety of fruits, and vegetables. I can find a Farmer's Market 5 out of 7 days a week within a 10 min driving distance.  So we are lucky and that will make access easier.   BUT our hard wiring (we were raised as 'happy meal' kids too), our kids love of chicken nuggets, and our bank book are going to be the challenge.  

We are going to this gradual we have cupboards full of food, freezer full of stuff as well as the fridge.  So we will use up what we have and find new solutions to what we need.  I will share with you...my goal is to show it can be done.  That just because you are getting a 'good deal' on some crap processed box of food at the local grocery store what your feeding yourself and your family is a load of garbage.  If it cost a little more to make a change in my local economy, a change in the good of the planet, and a change to healthier eating then it is indeed priceless.   


The link is a good start...



Our priorities are going to be;
1.Local
2. Organic

3. Family Farm
4. Local Business

5. Fair Trade

3 comments:

  1. I love this! I am on board to support you completely!

    For years now I've tried to make "smarter" choices. While not everything is organic, buying free range is important to me. I shop at Trader Joes not because I'm a snob but because I feel I can trust them and their products. If something isn't organic, it's free range and steroid free. I know however I could be better.

    I've been wanting to start a garden for years and I'm hoping this coming spring I get my act together and actually do it. *crosses fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, Westy! I'm excited to read what you find to be good solutions to a thorny problem. DH and I are interested in buying local and fresh when we can but we live in Chicago where both our weather and location don't favor this. And on one income, price is a HUGE factor for us. So I'm definitely interested in hearing about your journey! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ang I believe we both turned the Organic corner around the same time. I love Joe's because they actually do a lot of the work for you in the label reading process. They don't have to much over processed stuff in there. But I did have a Garden Burger today that I got from there and yeah scary label. But I love Joe's & they are largely organic as well. We will be there probably as much as we shop now (usually every other week).

    @Foxy Heather
    We (ok me) have been wanting to do this for a long time. Defiantly not going to be easy, and even harder somewhere were you have a real winter unlike here. But I hope I prove it can be done.

    Thank you both for not only following me but commenting *kisses*

    ReplyDelete